It may have been 50 years since Father Knows Best ran on network television, but the fatherly advice that actor, Robert Young gave endures today. It can come from grandfathers, uncles, mentors – even strangers.
On a road trip to Detroit, Michigan, I met 10 people and I asked them to share with me the best advice their father or a fatherly figure ever gave to them. Here is what they said:
1. If you don’t knock if off, someone’s going to get hurt! We got hurt a lot. I just said this yesterday to my three nephews! – Michelle, Greenville, MO
2. Be responsible and always have a job. I’ve had a job ever since I was 18 years old. – Jean, Houston, TX
3. Avoid debt. I’ve never been in debt. – Bill, Greensboro, NC
4. If you have to be somewhere at 3:00 p.m., be there by 2:45 p.m. My father told me this when I got my first job at the age of 15. I’m always early, wherever I go! – Chris, Springfield, MI
5. Make sure you complete college and beyond. I earned undergraduate degrees in Business and Music and a masters in Administration and HR. – Paul, Mount Pleasant, MI
6. Don’t believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. It made me wiser. – John, Dayton, OH
7. Be tough. My father taught us girls how to drive a stick shift and how to change a tire. He taught us to be independent. – Cathy, Dallas, TX
8. Forget the words “if only” and replace them with the words “next time”. My grandfather used to pick me up from school and always used the car ride to talk to me. With this bit of advice, he was teaching me not to live in the past. – Christine, Detroit, MI
9. Find out what you’re good at and make a career at it. – I’m good at analyzing everything. Now I’m doing that every day as a General Manager. – Tom, Lansing, MI
10. Whatever you do, do the best you can. I grew up without a father and without a fatherly role model. It was a friend who told me this. – Will, Bellevue, MI
They took to heart their fatherly advice. It has guided them to where they are – and who they are today.